We are currently not accepting any new research proposals. Any proposals received during this time will not be considered. If you are interested in conducting research with DPS, please submit a completed application during the next window from December 15, 2018–January 15, 2019.
External Research Review Windows
All external data or research requests must be submitted to the RRB for approval within one of three windows before beginning the research project:
1 – 30
|December 15 –
|April 1 – 30
Requests submitted outside of these windows will not be considered.
Who Needs to Submit a Request?
Review the External Request Flowchart for a quick reference on who needs to submit an external research request. More detailed information can be found in the DPS External Research Handbook.
For an overview of the guidelines for conducting research and evaluation projects, see the RRB One-Pager.
Step 1: Review DPS External Research Handbook
Step 2: Complete all documentation. Please see When Are the Appendixes Required? to determine which documents need to be completed prior to submission.
- Appendix A: Research Request Application Checklist (required)
- Appendix B: Request to Conduct Research Coversheet (required)
- Appendix C: DPS Sponsor Statement of Support (required)
- Appendix D: Principal Consent Form (conditional)
- Appendix E: Time Requirement Form (conditional)
- Appendix F: Informed Consent Guide (conditional)
- Appendix G: Research Modification Coversheet (conditional)
- Appendix H: Initial Interest in Naming the District in Research Results (conditional)
- Appendix I: Insurance Requirement (required)
Additionally, if you will be using surveys, interviews or any other instruments you will need to include a copy in your request.
Step 3: Submit all documentation to the RRB at RRB@dpsk12.org.
Data Protection Agreement (DPA)
A DPA is a legal agreement between the requester and DPS to ensure:
- Responsible sharing of data in alignment with your study’s questions, design, and methods,
- Proper storage, maintenance, and destruction of data upon the completion of your study, and
- Federal, state, and local requirements for data sharing are met.
Your RRB request will require a DPA if your study is dependent upon the use of secondary or extant data at the following levels:
- Student-level, identifiable data – with identifiers such as actual student IDs and date of birth
- Student-level, de-identified data – with no identifiers such as actual student IDs and date of birth
- Unsuppressed, aggregate data – showing less than 16 students per group (e.g., grade, school, district)
Please request a copy of the DPA from the RRB at RRB@dpsk12.org.
DPS charges a $35 hourly fee for any data handling exceeding 2 hours.
Conducting Health-Related Research with Denver Public Schools
Health-related research proposals are reviewed by the RRB and includes the following sample topics:
- Physical Activity or Physical Education
- Chronic Disease Management
- Social-Emotional Wellness
- Teenage Pregnancy Prevention
- Health Services
- Other Risk or Protective Factors
Need to update an existing request?
Submit Appendix G: Research Modification Coversheet under the following circumstances:
- You have a new DPS sponsor, new Principal Investigator, or co-Principal Investigators
- There are changes in your research questions or primary data collection methodology (e.g., sample population)
- You need to extend the timeline of recruitment and/or data collection period
- Newly executed Data Protection Agreement (DPA) including changes to policies for sharing data (secondary data collection)
- There are minor changes to instruments or documentation that participants see (e.g., online survey, etc.)
- You have an updated dissemination plan
- New funding source
Need to disseminate results?
If you have initial interest in naming the district in research results, please complete Appendix H: Initial Interest in Naming the District in Research Results. Naming the district in research results is contingent upon DPS Sponsor and Department Chief review and approval.
DPS has the right to review all publications. If you need support in sharing results back with DPS, feel free to use the RRB Research Brief Template.
Check out our FAQ or RRB One-Pager. You can also contact the ARE Hotline at 720-423-3736 or email the RRB at RRB@dpsk12.org.